Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper
The night before Jesus was crucified in Jerusalem, the Bible records a meal that He shared with the disciples. He took bread and wine from the table and told the disciples to eat and drink this food in remembrance of Him. Throughout the centuries, the commemoration of this meal as been central to the spiritual life of the Christian Church. Some denominations call the celebration a Mass. Others know it as Holy Communion. The Presbyterian Church in Canada has traditionally called it the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper.
Early Scottish settlers brought their sacramental customs to Canada. Often, they erected a trestle table in the sanctuary, and there the communicants seated themselves in order to share the bread. The minister then filled a large beaker with wine and poured some of it into a common cup or chalice, which participants passed from person to person along the table. For hygienic reasons, the Church introduced individual Communion cups at the end of the 19th century, and the temperance movement spurred a move to grape juice instead of wine. Since that time, the Elders have brought trays of individual glasses to the participants who in turn, passed the glasses down the pews in wooden and metal holders of various designs and sizes. Participants each take a cup, then pass the tray to the person seated beside them. The bread, which was once passed to those around the trestle table, is now on plates containing tiny cubes of bread and is passed to the communicants in the pews by the Elders.
Though its fabric panels and colouring have changed, the original pulpit of 1891 is still in use in the church today. Originally, the pulpit was placed at the centre of the chancel, but has since been relocated to its current off-centered position.
The Baptismal Font
The baptismal font currently used in the church is not an 1891 original. The current font, patterned after the design of the original 1891 pulpit, was in fact added during the sanctuary renovations of 1968.
The Communion Table
Knox Church has seen, and retains, several communion tables from throughout the years. The 1st table, circa 1920, was crafted from rosewood taken from the original pews of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, and is currently on display in the church narthex. The 2nd table, circa 1958, is currently on display in the church vestry. The 3rd table, circa 1968, is still in use today, and like the baptismal font, has been patterned after the original 1891 pulpit design.